Sunday, September 27, 2009

Music Review: C.R.I.$.I.$ Mr. Swagger

Long before Takondwa 'TK' Nkonjera, Slap D, Ruff Kid, Macky II, The Lyricist and others took to the airwaves all that the Zambian hip hop scene had was a C.R.I.$. I. $. Aka Chisenga Katongo.

Observed by many as the pioneer of this music genre in Zambia, C.R.I.$.I.$. (an acronym for Chisenga Rapping in Some Intellectual Skills) came on the scene through projects like Chibaba in 1999 under the Chisha Folotia-led reawakening of Zambian music. Chibaba, for those who may not remember, was an album by late Daddy Zemus and remains one of the most successful Zambian music projects while Zemus remains the most imitated Zambian artiste of recent times. While Zemus was establishing Jamaican-influenced Zambian dancehall or 'Zam ragga' as it is also known, C.R.I.$.I.$. was busy trying to establish himself as a rapper.

Six years later, in January 2005 C.R.I.$.I.$. released Officer in Charge, which made history by becoming the first Hip-Hop album to be recorded and produced in Zambia by a Zambian. Two years later while in the UK, he released Designer. Returning to Zambia in October 2007 he began working on his newest album Mr. Swagger which was produced and recorded under his Diamond Chain record label and is currently in stores but will be officially launched in the first week of October. Read More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment